“The second season of Abbott allowed me to trust myself even more. You hope your art is received in the way you intended it to be. And the first season was; it caused a cultural conversation. The show did things that I didn’t even intend for it to do.”
-Quinta Brunson, episode 294 of Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso
Today we’re joined by “Abbott Elementary” creator and star, Quinta Brunson! On the heels of its two historic wins at this year’s Emmys, we discuss the guiding principles behind its second season (6:02), its incomparable cast (9:41), and the show’s personal connection to Quinta’s upbringing in West Philadelphia (14:49). Then, we unpack her earliest comedic influences (19:21), performing in improv in college (26:31), and the solace she found in Second City Chicago (29:09).
On the back-half, Quinta reflects on moving to Los Angeles at twenty-three (33:27), the feelings of alienation that followed (35:02), and the Comedy Store performance that irrevocably altered her course (36:55) and brought her to Abbott Elementary (46:56). To close, she shares her hopes for the years to come (51:00).
- Watch the new season of Abbott Elementary on ABC and Hulu.
- Follow Quinta on Instagram and Twitter.
- Purchase her 2021 memoir, She Memes Well.
- Watch “The Girl Who’s Never Been on a Nice Date”.
- For more conversations, hear our talks with Abbi Jacobson, Bill Hader, Tessa Thompson, Hiro Murai, Pedro Pascal, Lena Dunham, and Nick Offerman.
- Order your Talk Easy mug in cream and navy or our vinyl record with Fran Lebowitz.