“I believe in people more than other people do. Everyone was going into this election dire, and I thought, I believe in voters. You don’t have four kids and not believe in the future. If you don’t think the future’s coming, you don’t do it.”
-Kara Swisher, episode 304 of Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso
Today we’re joined by journalist and podcast host, Kara Swisher. At the top, we unpack the midterms (4:22), the state of the GOP (7:28), and the role of social media in politics (11:52). Then, we discuss Kara’s evolving relationship with Elon Musk (13:21), her vision for Twitter (18:22) and what an alternative platform could (and should) look like (19:35).
On the back-half, we walk through Swisher’s pivot to journalism in college (26:24), her early years at The Washington Post (29:00), how she developed her no-nonsense style of interviewing (33:47), her personal connection to Senator-elect John Fetterman (35:42), and a commencement speech from Steve Jobs (42:47) that keeps her believing in the future (45:20).
- Listen to Kara’s new podcast, On with Kara Swisher, every Monday and Thursday.
- Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
- Listen to Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech.
- For more conversations, hear our talks with Congresswoman Cori Bush, Ezra Klein, Astead Herndon, Beto O’Rourke, Stacey Abrams, Michael Lewis, Noam Chomsky, and Gloria Steinem.
- Order your Talk Easy mug in cream and navy or our vinyl record with Fran Lebowitz.
Original illustration by Krishna Shenoi.