Tyler Mitchell is a photographer and filmmaker based in Brooklyn. His anticipated debut book, I Can Make You Feel Good, is a timely and unabashedly optimistic celebration of Black life. His photos (as seen below) depict young Black men and women living, thriving, and relaxing, in repose and in sunshine. Today, on the show, he reflects on the significance of skateboarding as a teenager; the formative years of working at a cake bakery in Marietta, Georgia; his great escape to New York City; how he spent college doggedly pursuing his dreams; the historic Vogue cover with Beyoncé; and why his work subverts traditional ideas of being Black in America.
- Justice for Jacob Blake via Go Fund Me.
- Follow Tyler on Instagram.
- To learn more about Tyler, visit his personal site.
- You can buy his book, I Can Make You Feel Good, here.
- Subscribe to Talk Easy via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher.