This week Sam sits down with DJ and music producer Chris Manak, also known as Peanut Butter Wolf. Chris has been active in the music industry since the late ’80s, and founded the LA-based independent record label Stones Throw Records in 1996. For over 20 years, Chris’ label has demonstrated a far-reaching taste in music, representing the many flavors of hip-hop alongside cross-genre and experimental acts. Aloe Blacc, Mayer Hawthorne, and Talk Easy alum Mndsgn are among the vast list of musicians on the Stones Throw roster. The first of a series spotlighting musicians from Stones Throw Records, this week’s episode includes Sam and Chris discussing everything from Chris’ musical influences while growing up (8:02), to the highs and lows of the evolving music industry (27:35), as well as his late friend and collaborator J Dilla (40:41).
- You can listen to the J Dilla tracks used in the episode here, here, and here.
- The Madlib track used in the episode can be found here.
- “Unassisted” by Rasco can be found here.
- Peanut Butter Wolf’s “Theme From a Peanut Butter Wolf” can be found here.
- Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf’s track “Just Like A Test” can be found here.
- Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” can be found here.
- Lastly, you can find Stones Throw’s entire discography here.
Music by Jinsang and Vanilla. Original illustration by Krishna Shenoi.
Subscribe to Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso on iTunes.
Follow us on SoundCloud.