“I think often white masses are looking to black artists for some kind of explanation or guidance rather than just reading a book.” – Morgan Parker, episode 159 on Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso
Welcome back! This week celebrated poet, author, and essayist Morgan Parker sits with Sam to discuss her latest book, Magical Negro. They talk about what poetry can look (and sound) like in the Internet era, the loneliness of being a writer in LA, Morgan’s experiences of dating (and writing about) white men named Matt, the visceral intensity of her book readings, and how mass (predominately white) audiences engage with her work.
- To learn more about Morgan you can visit her personal website.
- Purchase “Magical Negro” here.
- The iconic image of Diana Ross finishing a rib. (Also, scroll down.)
- Gladys Knight’s guest appearance on The Jeffersons.
- Read the poem “Matt” here.
Illustrations by: Krishna Shenoi.
Music by: Dylan Peck and Jinsang.
Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso is a free, independently produced podcast. We are supported by our listeners. So, if you can, consider donating to our show here. If you prefer Venmo over PayPal, that works too: @talkeasypod. And thank you for the help. We couldn’t do this show without you.